Cold weather will be here before we know it. Now is the perfect time to make sure your vehicle’s heater is working properly. A broken heater will make for an uncomfortable ride; it will also prevent your defroster from blowing warm air onto your windshield to eliminate ice and fog, which can pose a hazard while driving.
5 signs your car’s heating system maybe having issues:
- 1) Air that blows in smells wet, musty, or like mildew.
- 2) The defroster takes longer than usual to work, blows in grimy air or doesn't work at all.
- 3)The heating system only performs when driving and stops blowing when the vehicle is at idle.
- 4) Your heating system blows cold air.
- 5) The volume of air is unchanged at its highest setting.
4 reasons your car’s heating system isn’t working:
- 1) Low antifreeze/water level in the radiator due to a leak in the cooling system.
- 2) The thermostat is broken and isn’t allowing the engine to properly warm up.
- 3) The blower fan isn’t working properly.
- 4) Coolant is contaminated with dirt or rust particles and is blocking the heating core from circulating air into the cabin properly.
How can I prevent car heater failure?
It’s easy - maintain your vehicle’s cooling system! Have Wiygul Automotive Clinic check your hoses, belts and coolant levels on a regular basis. If you own a newer vehicle, you probably won’t have to worry about coolant levels until 60,000 - 100,000 miles.
Be sure your vehicle provides you with a safe, warm and cozy ride all season long. If you are concerned about your vehicle’s heating system, we welcome you to schedule an appointment.