With most Metro DC residents staying home amid the coronavirus crisis, vehicles are not being driven as much, instead they are parked in a garage or driveway.
If you have a vehicle that you aren’t driving for the unforeseeable future, there are several steps you should take to prevent any damage that might occur while staying parked.
8 Tips To Maintain An Unused Vehicle During Coronavirus Crisis
1) Fill your gas tank completely full. An empty or low gas tank will lead to internal rust as condensation and moisture builds within the tank
2) Get an oil change then spray lubricant on all exposed metal surfaces in the engine area to protect against rusting and corrosion
3) Check your car every few days for any leaks or drops from the brakes, transmission, and engine
4) Wash and wax your car to prevent corrosion
5) Thoroughly clean out the interior of your car of any trash to prevent smells and mold from accumulating
6) Disconnect the battery to prevent battery failure, and store it in a battery box - not on a concrete floor
7) Plug the tail pipe with aluminum foil or rag to deter any rodents and moist air from entering your car - but set a reminder to remove the foil or rag before starting your car again
8) Make sure the parking brake is disengaged to avoid brake corrosion
If your vehicle is in need of any service or maintenance before storing your vehicle, we are here to help! Rest assured, the health & safety of our customers and employees is very important to us. We are heightening our attention to many of the precautionary activities we already undertake at all of our locations. These include:
Recommended CDC social distancing
Regular and thorough clean up and wiping down of all floors and surfaces
Use of gloves and seat covers inside any customer vehicles
Hand washing stations for our customers and employees
If you are worried about being out in public due to COVID-19 concerns, we want to remind you about our FREE Concierge Service, free vehicle pick up and drop off. (Available within 10 miles of any of our 8 DC Metro locations).