Some vehicle owners wait for their brakes to start grinding or notice the brake pedal feels soft before going for brake service near Fairfax Station, VA. Keeping your vehicle in good working condition helps prevent accidents and protects your investment.
One of the most important systems on your vehicle is its braking system. You should have regular brake service near Fairfax Station, VA to keep your brakes working properly. Brakes that don’t work properly don’t stop fast enough, and you could end up causing an unfortunate accident.
How to Know When You Need Brake Service near Fairfax Station, VA
- Look at your brake pad for visible wear. The outside pad will be pressed against your rotor. There should be at least 3mm of pad. If there is less, you should have brake service near Fairfax Station, VA to replace your brake pads.
- The brakes are not as responsive as they should be when applied.
- The feel when brakes are applied is low, spongy or soft.
- The wheels lock when braking.
- The car pulls to one side or the other when applying brakes.
- The brakes squeal or make a grinding noise.
- The steering wheel shimmies or vibrates during braking.
- The brake warning light comes on. Do not ignore.
A Little Bit About Brakes
- Having brake service near Fairfax Station, VA is a critical part of keeping your vehicle safe and running smoothly. Keeping your brakes in good working condition with regular brake service near Fairfax Station, VA can prevent more costly repairs down the line.
- Braking systems need periodic inspection and attention to ensure proper operation and performance.
- At 30 mph it takes 80 feet for properly operating brakes to stop your vehicle. Drivers who tailgate put themselves and others in danger if they do not have proper working brakes.
Brakes use friction to stop your vehicle, and as time wears on, so do your brake pads. When they do, you should not prolong taking your vehicle in for brake service near Fairfax Station, VA. If you wait too long, you will end up spending more and have to replace your rotors as well.
By following your owner’s manual, you should know when it is time to take your vehicle in for brake service near Fairfax Station, VA. A good rule of thumb is to inspect your brake pads for wear every 12,000 miles. Keeping a close eye on your brakes is necessary for your safety as well as other motorist on the highway.