Your Uniroyal tires in Clinton, MD need regular maintenance to keep them in shape and working properly. These are simple things you can do:
- Maintain proper inflation
- Rotate your tires
- Inspect tires once a month
- Practicing good driving habits
- Ensure that wheels are properly aligned
- Check the tires tread depth
Tire Wear and Tread Wear Indicators Are on All Uniroyal Tires in Clinton, MD
Tread wear indicators are located at the base of the main grooves, are smooth strips of rubber that cross the tread and are equally spaced all around the tire. As a tire wears out, the tread wear indicators will be more clearly visible. When the tire indicators reach a remaining tread depth of 2/32" (1.5 mm) it is considered unsafe. you must replace your tires before they have reached this point. Deeper tread tires provide better handling and grip. Your tire’s tread needs to be thick enough to grip the road and properly stop and maneuver.
You may experience slipping and loss of stability on wet roads when your treads are worn down to about 4/32" (3.2 mm) of remaining tread depth. If you will need to drive in snow or icy conditions you should replace your tires even sooner. Specialty tires have varied tread patterns that are made to enhance performance for different road types and weather conditions. Specialty tires, such as all-terrain and winter tires, resist uneven tread wear and provide longer lasting tread life.
Checking Your Tires Tread Depth Using a Penny
If you don’t have a tire tread gauge handy, you can do the popular method called the penny test. Simply isert a penny into your tire's tread groove with Lincoln's head upside down and facing you. If you can see all of Lincoln's head, your tread depth is less than 2/32 inch the tires are considered unsafe. It is important to never let your tire tread get to this point.
How Do I Make My Tires Last Longer?
Obviously, tires wear out and lose tread quicker the more you drive, but mileage and age are not the only cause of tire wear and tear. Driving habits and road conditions can also shorten the life of a tire. Uniroyal tires in Clinton, MD will last longer when you practicing good driving habits.
- Avoid accelerating too quickly. This makes your tires go against the road and could possibly leave a strip of black rubber on the road.
- Do not stop too quickly. The results are similar to accelerating too fast and you could wear a flat spot on the tires.
- Avoid turning too fast. This will wear out the tread unevenly and too quickly.
- Do not drive with heavy loads that exceed the maximum weight of the tires. The tires will weaken and become vulnerable to a blowout.
- Avoid driving over potholes, debris and curbs.
- Do not rub a tire against or over the curb. This can damage the sidewalls and cause an alignment problem.
- Avoid Speeding/driving at top speeds. The heat generated can waken and soften the tire.
Your tires are an investment. Take proper care of your Uniroyal tires in Clinton, MD and they will serve you well.