Your tires need regular maintenance to keep them in shape and working properly. Under normal driving conditions inspect you tires once a month. See a mechanic to keep regular maintenance on Uniroyal tires in Herndon, VA.
Necessary tire maintenance:
- Visually inspect the tires.
- Look for large sidewall cracks and bulging spots.
- Bulges create weak spots on the tire surfaces.
- This can increase the chance of a blow out or hydroplaning.
- Look for objects that may have punctured the tire, such as nails, screws or glass.
- Rotate your tires. This maintains even tread wear. Rotation makes tires last longer. Tire rotation is a convenient time to get your wheels balanced.
- Maintain proper inflation. Underinflated tires will decrease vehicle handling and can lead to excessive tread wear and a blowout.
- Ensure that wheels are properly aligned. Even small misalignment can increase tread wear.
- Measure your tires tread depth.
Tread Wear Indicators
Deeper tread tires provide better handling and grip. Your tire’s tread needs to be thick enough to grip the road and properly stop and maneuver. Tread will wear away and reduce volume over time. The first way to tell if you need new tires is to look for the tread wear indicators. They are located at the base of the main grooves, are smooth strips of rubber that cross the tread and are equally spaced all around the tire. As a tire wears out, the tread wear indicators will be more clearly visible. When the tire indicators reach a remaining tread depth of 2/32" (1.5 mm) it is considered unsafe. You must replace your tires before they have reached this point.
How Do I Make My Tires Last Longer?
Obviously, tires wear out and lose tread quicker the more you drive, but mileage and age are not the only cause of tire wear and tear. Driving habits and road conditions can also shorten the life of a tire. Uniroyal tires in Herndon, VA will last longer when you Practicing good driving habits.
- Avoid Speeding/driving at top speeds. The heat generated can waken and soften the tire.
- Do not drive with heavy loads that exceed the maximum weight of the tires. The tires will weaken and become vulnerable to a blowout.
- Avoid accelerating too quickly. This makes your tires go against the road and could possibly leave a strip of black rubber on the road.
- Do not stop too quickly. The results are similar to accelerating too fast and you could wear a flat spot on the tires.
- Avoid turning too fast. This will wear out the tread unevenly and too quickly.
- Do not rub a tire against or over the curb. This can damage the sidewalls and cause an alignment problem.
- Avoid driving over potholes, debris and curbs.
Your tires are an investment. Uniroyal tires in Herndon, VA will protect and last.